Thursday 11 October 2012

The Nottingham Classic Bike Ride


As you may, or may not know I am what you call a 'fairweather cyclist'. I'm not into serious pedalling, panting or perspiration. And I'm definitely not into wearing Lycra on my 1959 Raleigh. That all said, I still LOVE cycling. Y'know, just the showing off kind where you don't ruin your hair. 
So when I heard of the Nottingham Classic Ride, I knew I had to fetch Marlene from the shed and take her out. Pretty much the same concept of the Tweed Run held in London, yet we took a more scenic route. Stopping for tea at Wollaton Hall and ending up Lindyhopping to live music infront of Highfields Lake.
There was talk of taking our 4 legged friends along with us to enjoy the ride safe in our wicker baskets, but I fear little Inka would have not sat still for 10 whole miles!!


Liz, one of the wonderful people who founded the Classic Ride, with my favourite bike of the day.










As on any casual cycle, there were many stops. Well, we didn't want to get into a sweat and ruin our hair! 


Amy and Sonja from The Retro Lovely Blog
You could hear their giggling a mile away!



Marlene made lots of new friends. Infact, I realised how dirty she had gotten. All the shiny bikes were rather showing us up!


I bagged the prize for best dressed female. There will be a blog post in honour of my prize......


And look, we even made the Nottingham Evening Post....twice.
It's a shame I couldn't have thought of something slightly better to say about Vintage cycles and the bike ride in general. I didn't know my word were going down in ink!

Many thanks to Julian Bentley for organising such an enjoyable event. I'm already looking forward to next years cycle.

Photograph credits; EMPA Photography

Love as always, Lucille xx

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! This looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a marvelous post. I enjoyed every single photo . . . the only thing that I could find wrong, was that I wasn't there to enjoy the fun. I too, am a fair-weather cyclist. This was so much fun, thanks for sharing. Connie :)
    P.S. I do not know if I could make it 10 miles . . . maybe with lots of stops along the way and no hills :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning best dressed female, you looked so lovely. Thank you for this post, I think I will need to get myself a vintage bike now,
    Love Lil x
    http://littleliloflondon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi pretty lady! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you would stop by my blog and follow me too!

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. you ladies look so adorable!
    why don't we have vintage bike rides here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like such a fun day.you look beautiful.you diserve to win best dressed.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great outfit. I love your style! Especially your hairstyle, amazing.

    ReplyDelete